About John McKay
The Honourable John McKay was first elected as Member of Parliament in 1997. He was re-elected in October 2019 to serve his eighth term in the House of Commons. He currently represents the constituency of Scarborough-Guildwood. John is married to Carolyn Dartnell. They have five children, three grandchildren and are active members of The Peoples Church.
• Chair of the Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security
• Canadian Co-Chair of the Canada-United States Permanent Joint Board on Defence
• Chair, Canada-United Kingdom Inter-Parliamentary Association
• Vice-Chair, Canada-United States Inter-Parliamentary Group
• Vice-Chair, All-Party Parliamentary Group to End Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking
• Counsellor, Canadian NATO Parliamentary Association
• Counsellor, Canada-Ireland Inter-Parliamentary Group
Current Memberships in Parliamentary Associations and Interparliamentary Groups:
• Canada-United States Inter-Parliamentary Group
• Canada-United Kingdom Inter-Parliamentary Association
• Canadian NATO Parliamentary Association
• Canadian Branch of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association
• Canada-Europe Parliamentary Association
• Canadian Delegation to the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe Parliamentary Assembly
• Canada-Ireland Inter-Parliamentary Group
Current Memberships in Parliamentary Friendship Groups:
• All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Prevention of Genocide and Other Crimes against Humanity
• Canada-Nordic-Baltic Parliamentary Friendship Group
• Canada-Philippines Parliamentary Friendship Group
• Canada-Taiwan Parliamentary Friendship Group
• Canada-Ukraine Parliamentary Friendship Group
Appointment to Privy Council: December 12, 2003
• Bachelor of Arts, University of Toronto at Scarborough (UTSC)
• Bachelor of Laws, Queen’s University
• Osgoode Hall Bar Admission Course
• Member of the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development – 2017
• Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Defence – 2015 – 2017
• Liberal Party of Canada Critic for the Environment – 2013 – 2015
• Liberal Party of Canada Critic for Defence – 2011 – 2013
• Chair of the Standing Committee on Government Operations – 2010 – 2011
• Senior Member of House Finance Committee – 2004 – 2010
• Official Opposition Critic for Small Business and Tourism – 2008
• Official Opposition Critic for Crown Corporations – 2006
• Chair of the Canada-Caribbean Parliamentary Friendship Group – 2006
• Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Finance, 2003 – 2006
• Chair of the Ontario Liberal Caucus – 2002 – 2004
• Chair of the Canada-Taiwan Parliamentary Friendship Group – 2001 – 2004
• Vice-Chair of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights – 2001 – 2003
• Chair of the National Prayer Breakfast – 2001 & 2002
Private Members Bills over Parliamentary Career:
• Successfully sponsored Bill C-293, An Act Respecting the Provision of Development Assistance Abroad and received Royal Assent on May 29, 2008.
• Successfully sponsored Bill C-260, Amendment to Hazardous Products Act (fire-safe cigarettes) and received Royal Assent on March 31, 2004.
• Sponsor of Bill C-300, a bill respecting corporate accountability for mining, oil and gas companies in developing nations – 2009-2010.
• Sponsor of Bill C-474, Transparency of Payments Made by Mining, Oil and Gas Corporations to Foreign Governments Act – 2013-2014.
• Sponsor of Bill C-423, An Act respecting the fight against certain forms of modern slavery through the imposition of certain measures and amending the Customs Tariff – 2018-2019.